Auslogics Disk Defrag is the best free disk defragmenter software that will speed up your hard drive and computer’s overall performance by optimizing file system.
Defragment & Optimize
- Disk Defrag doesn't only defragment files - it can also optimize your hard drives' file system to gain even higher performance. The program's optimization algorithms allow you to defragment free space, move system files to the fastest part of the disk and clear the MFT Reserved Zone from regular files. In addition to that, Disk Defrag is supplied with a powerful engine that can easily defragment large multi-terabyte volumes.
Free Space Consolidation
- Simple defragmentation of data files leaves fragmented free space. This means that there are many free space "holes" all over the disk. Windows fills those "holes" with newly created or extended files. The more fragmented the free space is, the more fragmented new files will be. Disk Defrag merges free space into a large contiguous block during the optimization process. This technology effectively prevents file fragmentation.
System Files Smart Placement
- System files are necessary for the operating system to perform its numerous functions. Commonly used by Windows, system files may be scattered all over the disk and intermixed with regular files. Disk Defrag defragments them and moves them to the fastest part of the disk. Such intelligent way of defragmentation minimizes the time needed to access system files and improves overall computer performance.
Keeping the MFT Reserved Zone Clear
- Normally, NTFS file system reserves about 12,5% of the disk space for the MFT records. However, when the rest of the disk space is getting low, the MFT Reserved Zone is used for storing regular files. This may lead to MFT fragmentation. To prevent MFT fragmentation, Disk Defrag moves regular data files from the MFT Reserved Zone, allowing NTFS to allocate contiguous space for the MFT records.
Single File or Folder Defragmentation
- Sometimes it makes more sense to defragment frequently used files only, instead of defragmenting the entire drive. Disk Defrag can save your time by defragmenting only the files you want. It allows you to defragment a single file, several files or an entire folder. This option is useful when certain files need to be defragmented to speed up an application and there is no need to defragment the entire hard drive.
List of Fragmented Files
- Disk Defrag lists all fragmented files after performing disk analysis. Selecting a file from the list will highlight its fragments' location on the cluster map. You can find the most fragmented files and their paths by sorting through the list. The list also lets you choose files to defragment and files to add to the ignore list. All you need to do is right-click on a file in the list and select the operation you want to perform.
- With its auto-defragmentation feature enabled, Disk Defrag acts in real time while your system is idle. Since the program is very compact and requires few system resources, it can easily defragment your hard drives in the background and you will not even notice its activity. Use a handy icon (in the bottom-left corner) to easily customize and control the auto-defrag mode. Just set Disk Defrag to run automatically and you'll forget about file fragmentation!
Customizing Disk Defrag
- Use many handy settings to customize your Disk Defrag. It can be integrated into the Windows Explorer context menu and minimized to system tray on close. The last option is especially convenient when using the auto-defragmentation mode. You can also set the program to shut down your computer after defragmentation is complete. And with its several fragmentation map colour themes you can change the way your Disk Defrag looks.
|Windows XP | 7 | 8 | Server 2003 | 2008 + 64bit|
|Sep 20, 2013|
- Win 8 (32 or 64 bit), Win 7 (32 or 64 bit), Vista SP2 (32-bit only), XP SP3 (32-bit only)
- 25 MB available hard disk space
- 32 MB RAM