VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
- Simple, fast and powerful media player.
- Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed: MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...
- Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix...
- Completely Free, 0 spyware, 0 ads and no user tracking.
- Can do media conversion and streaming.
What's New on VLC Media Player 2.1.0
· The licenses of numerous modules have changed from GPLv2+ to LGPLv2.1+
· Discontinued support for PowerPC-based Macs; VLC now requires Mac OS X 10.6+ Moreover, the official builds will be 64bit only
· The --with-tuning and --without-tuning options are removed; to tune compilation for a specific processor type, set CFLAGS manually
3rd party libraries (contrib):
· /extras/contrib has been replaced by a cleaner build system in /contrib
· Audio core rewrite, supporting higher samplerates, better volume management, better device selection, new channel layouts and new output capabilities
· Fix support for .001, .00x split files on Windows
· Full support for UNICODE Windows mode
· Disable and mark obsolete --language selection
· Port to Android
· Port to iOS
· Partial support for Windows Store App / WinRT
· Add an audio fingerprinter, using AcoustID!
· Remove SQL support